In addition to the requirements below, students must meet all of the general requirements of their Faculty as outlined in the Academic Calendar.
In accordance with the Arts Faculty requirements, students may not count more than 60 credits of International Relations courses (i.e., required courses and those on Lists A, B, and C below) toward the B.A. degree (Language courses do not count as part of these 60 credits).
Note: All courses listed below are six credits unless otherwise indicated.
First and Second Year Course Requirements
Students must take the following courses:
- [Econ 101 (3) or Econ 310 (3)] and [Econ 102 (3) or Econ 311 (3)] - IB transfer credit does not satisfy this requirement
- History 103 or Hist 102 - Neither Arts One, nor IB, nor AP transfer credit can be used to satisfy this requirement
- Political Science 260 (3) - Please note that Poli 100 is a prerequisite for all second-year Poli courses including Poli 260
- Twelve credits of one language other than English, in addition to the Faculty of Arts language requirement. The language can be the one used to satisfy the Faculty of Arts requirement carried to a higher level, or it can be an additional language. For more information on the language requirement – please click here.
While it is advisable to complete all of these requirements prior to the third year, it is permissible to complete some of them in the third year.
Prospective IR students may find the following first and second year courses interesting and relevant. These courses are not required for application to the IR program or for graduation.
Third and Fourth Year Course Requirements
A minimum of 33 credits in International Relations. These 33 credits must include the following:
- Economics 355 (3) or 356 (3) – Note: The prerequisites for these courses are [Economics 101 or 310] and [Economics 102 or 311]. Students taking Econ 355 may take Econ 356 toward List B; students taking Econ 356 may count Econ 355 toward List B.
- History 425 or History 432 or [History 408 and History 409].
- One of: Political Science 360 (3/6), 361 (3/6), 362 (3), 364 (3/6), 367 (3/6), or 369 (3/6)
- In their fourth year, students must take one of the required International Relations seminars. These are: Econ 457 (3), Hist 403 (3), Poli 464 (3), one of the other seminars that may be designated by the Chair of the Program. A list of designated seminars for the following year and a description of their content will be available from the International Relations Office in the spring. Note: These seminars are not available for third-year students. Students are only allowed to one of these seminars.
- 18 credits from the lists below. Of these 18 credits, at least 9 must be from List A or 9 must be from List B. The remaining 9 credits can be from either Lists A, B, or C. Please note: a course used to satisfy one of the other IR requirements, cannot also be used to satisfy this requirement. E.g., if Political Science 360 is used to satisfy the Political Science requirement [above in point 3], it cannot be counted as part of these 18 credits.)
Note: Students are reminded of the need to satisfy all Arts Faculty requirements. For more up-to-date descriptions of course content than those listed in the UBC Calendar consult the relevant department’s website each spring.