Students can apply for the IR Major or declare the IR minor at the end of their second year of studies at UBC.
Prospective students wishing to enter 1st or 2nd year studies at UBC with the goal of studying International Relations, should apply to UBC, select the Faculty of Arts as their program option, and then work on meeting the pre-requisites for the IR major during their first two years of study.
Students transferring from other post-secondary institutions who expect to have at least 54 transfer credits upon admission to UBC, should first apply to UBC* and then apply to the International Relations major.
Students in the Faculty of Arts may add the IR minor to their program through the SSC. Special permission is not required from the IR program to do so. Students in other faculties should approach their Faculty Advisor for instructions if they would like to add an IR minor to their program.
The deadline to apply to the IR Major is May 15th, 2017*.
*Students should note that the deadline to apply to UBC is well in advance of the deadline for admission to the IR major. Students who have applied to UBC for September 2017 but who are still waiting on their admission decision, should still apply to the IR major by May 15th, 2017. For more information on applying to UBC, please visit: you.ubc.ca/admissions/.
Applicants should be familiar with Arts Faculty Requirements and the International Relations Program requirements. Admission to the Major Program in International Relations is not automatic. We accept approximately 125 new Majors per year.
Admission is based on the average grade obtained for all post-secondary course work attempted, with the exception of 12 credits which may be excluded from the calculation (IR classes and Arts writing classes are not eligible for exclusion). The program will automatically exclude the 12 credits provided it increases the student’s average. The admission average to the program is usually 76-78% but can also be outside of this range depending on the year.
- enrollment in the Faculty of Arts at the University of British Columbia;
- completion of 54 or more credits;
- completion of at least one of the lower level requirements below; however, it is strongly recommended that students complete all of the lower level requirements prior to third year:
- Requirement 1: Economics 101 and Economics 102 – IB credit cannot be used to meet this requirement.
- Requirement 2: Political Science 260
- Requirement 3: History 102 or History 103 (only one is required for the major) – Neither Arts One nor IB nor AP credit can be used to meet this requirement.
- It is also advisable for students to have started on their IR language requirement but this can be completed in their 3rd or 4th year.
- Check that you meet the above admission requirements.
- Fill out the online application form.
- Arrange for all post-secondary transcripts other than UBC’s (we will obtain your UBC transcript) to be sent to the following address: International Relations Program, Liu Institute for Global Issues Room 305, University of British Columbia, 6476 NW Marine Dr, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2. If you have previously submitted a transcript to the registrar’s office and do not wish to send an additional copy to the IR program, please confirm that the IR program has access to the transcript by emailing irmajor.program[at]ubc.ca.
If you are accepted into the program, you will be notified by email by June 15, 2017. You will be asked whether or not you accept the offer of admission into the International Relations major. We will not be able to certify you as an International Relations major until your reply is received. Please make sure to check and respond to your offer email.
Students not admitted to the program will also be notified by email by June 15, 2017.
If you are currently applying for enrollment in the Faculty of Arts at UBC, or if you will be fulfilling your course and/or credit requirements during the Summer Session 2017, the final decision on your application will be made only after you notify the IR program that you have been enrolled at UBC and/or have completed your outstanding requirements. Please send this notification, by e-mail to irmajor.program[at]ubc.ca as promptly as possible.